Bellow

tales of a girl in the city

janvier 03, 2004

My current professional incarnation is: Receptionist.

Yeah. I know.

Past incarnations have included: Talking Dog, Manager of large discount retail store in Lower Manhattan, Snow Queen, Think Tank Employee, Staff Interviewer for the college from which I graduated.

Some might call my employment history "a mess." I prefer to think of it as "eclectic."

Additionally, some might call receptionist work "dull." I prefer to think of it as "horrid."

Being a receptionist has dealt a near-fatal blow to my concepts of good and evil. My intelligence is also staggering around on its last legs, as is my self-esteem. I often think this must be the rock-bottom of my professional life, but then I realize that I'm not wearing a nametag or a uniform and suddenly I see that there is, indeed, further to fall. Thank God.

Anyway, all I really wanted to say before I leave work for the day is this:

I hate everyone who, after calling to bother me with silly questions about apartments they can't afford, finishes the conversation by saying in a smarmy voice, "And who am I speaking to?"

This seems to me to be a thinly disguised way of saying, "I'm going to tell on you."

It bothers me endlessly.

I hate everyone.

Editorial Comment: I am not a receptionist. My mistake. I am a Guest Relations Associate. A Guest Relations Associate who still hates everyone.