Bellow

tales of a girl in the city

février 26, 2006

Fur Hat

I am feeling a little guilty about wearing my fur hat. Perhaps because my roommate--who is training to be a yoga instructor--has covered our kitchen table with stickers declaring "Fur Is Dead."

And she's right. Fur is dead. But it is also soft and warm and very soothing when you put it on your head and name it Vlad and pet it sometimes when you're on the subway.

This morning in particular I was feeling a little guilty about Vlad, which made me convinced that people were giving me and my Enormous Brown Headful of Animal Death mean looks. Which started me thinking about what I would say if some PETA Person ever actually came up and shouted at me for wearing fur.

I decided on the following scenario:

PETA Person: Do you know how many animals died to make that hat!?

Me *passionately*: YES!! JUST ONE--THE BEAVER THAT ATE MY BABY BROTHER!!

And then I would cry and the PETA Person would feel just terrible.